Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Early Arivals

I got my first two packages n the mail today. From Fat Dragon Games I got E-Z Dungeons and E-Z Tiles (Dungeon Starter Set), and from Paka's Thread Games I received Dictionary of Mu.


It's a bit early to give my first impressions of Mu yet, since I just started flipping through it, and I know nothing about Sorcerer, the game engine it is based on. It looks like I'm going to have to dig up a copy of that before I go much further. There you guys go again, twisting my arm to buy game books.

So I'll skip ahead to the E-Z Dungeons. This is exactly the kind of product that makes me glad to be a judge. There are things I never would have thought of had I not seen them, but now that I've had a chance to look at them the idea seems intuitive and interesting.

Basically they are CDs with PDFs of various (in this case) dungeon tiles on them. Presumably the other sets offer variant location types and objects. The idea is to print them up on card stock, a little shaping, and glue them to foam core, and you have everything that you need for simple, easy 3D terrain. Unlike ready-made products, these are neat, because you can basically print out as many copies as you want.

Now, I'll admit that I'm no modeler, so maybe my experiences won't be typical, but I'll try to head down to the local Hobby Lobby and pick up some foam core and card stock, and I'll give these a try to see if they're as easy to use as they look. If I can make them work I'll have to throw a dungeon into my D&D game and try these out.

The E-Z Tiles seem, at first glance, to be a slightly more advanced version of E-Z Dungeons. These have layers that can be turned on and off, so you can populate the dungeon with crates, or barrels, or treasure chests, what have you. It's a really neat idea, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way move the items around. Not a big flaw, but it would certainly be nice.

No comments: