Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More books.

You know, I was just thinking that I had probably received all the entries that were likely to come this year when UPS brought me a huge box of Warhammer Fantasy books.

Not that I'm complaining, they look great, and if the fans at RPG.net are to be believed, they'll be great to read and playtest. Of course, it does mean that I need to make another trip to the FLGS. There are a lot of books there, but no main rulebook.

I'm looking forward to it. I have a huge collection of books, but in recent years I find myself falling into the trap of buying just a few lines and missing a lot of great stuff that's out there. That's the best part of being a judge. I get to read some of the best books on the market, including those I might have otherwise just let slip by.

It's also gotten me in the habit of actually reading my purchases again, which is a huge benefit to doing this. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but some time a few years ago I started buying books that looked interesting, and just sitting them on my shelf, fully intending to read them, but never getting around to it. At this point there are dozens of them, just sitting there. I really do like reading RPG books, but somewhere along the way I forgot that and stopped making time. Now I have no choice but to power through them, and it's been really fun. I didn't know how much I missed it.

Okay, so enough waxing nostalgic.

I'll break out the box later tonight and add them to my list, along with a CD with a couple PDFs I got from Flying Mice.

In the mean time I'll go ahead and mention that my Sunday group is currently playtesting Crisis in Freeport. This is a kind of unique experience for me, since I actually get to play the adventure. I've been gaming for 25 years, and I've always been a GM. I can probably count the number of games I've been a player in on my fingers. Okay, maybe not if you count convention games or one-shots, but you get the idea. I'll read through the adventure when we're done, but for right now I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride. Besides, the player running the game knows Freeport better than I do, so he's likely to do the adventure better justice.

Well, back to the reading. Hopefully tonight I can finish off the Warlords books and write up my reviews for tomorrow.

No comments: