Sunday, June 10, 2007

Five Fingers

I made time to go to the post office yesterday and pick up the box from Privateer Press. I'm very glad I did.

I've never given these guys enough credit. I sat down to flip through Five Fingers and ended up reading it and both No Quarter magazines cover to cover. I'm completely sold on the Iron Kingdoms. Five Fingers was an absolutely fantastic book.

I've had some small exposure to the Iron Kingdoms before, I even own the Character Guide and the Witchfire Trilogy, which I believe started the whole thing. The problem is, I never read much of them. As with many books I bought during the d20 glut it got a quick read-through and added to my bookshelves without giving it much of a chance. I really regret that right now.

Five Fingers is one of the best written, most interesting books I've read in a while. The setting is fascinating, and there are just enough rules in it to encourage the three types of play the book focuses on. It's also attractive, focusing on art that really puts you into the city right from the cover.

Take my advice, don't take a look at the steamjacks and guns and sell this setting short. If this book is any indication it has a lot to offer.

Sheesh, Now I have to go out and buy the Worldbook.

I love the writing, the art, the layout, and the rules. 10 out of 10.

No comments: